Jul 18, 2017

Family trip to Cayuga Lake

As I mentioned in my coffee date post, we went to Cayuga Lake in NY a couple of weeks ago with my mom's side of the family. The last time we have all been together for something happy was our wedding in September.  Before that, I can't remember the last time we were all together except for funerals.

We rented out a property that had 3 houses.  There was a main house, where most of the "real adults" (what I call my parents, aunts and uncles) stayed. I was in the "guest house" in a room with Bill and the other people in our house were Abbie, my cousins Sarah, Mitch, baby Benton, Emily, Audrey and Uncle Tony.  There was also a clubhouse out back where the younger cousins stayed, plus a couple older ones. We gave that house a few unsavory nicknames because all of the boys were staying in there and it turned into a giant bachelor pad.

There are always ups and downs to every trip, so I'm just going to to ahead and get my complaints out of the way first, because as we all know, I'm a complainer from way back and I've also turned into a spoiled city girl as of late. I also like to be real on here. The lake was just a little lackluster compared to what I'm used to (the crystal clear waters with sparkling sand of Lake Jocassee!).  The water wasn't very clear, it was freezing, smelled a bit fishy, there was no beach but instead there were treacherous rocks covered in algae. There was a dead possum floating the first few days, and dead fish floating the second.  The dock was covered in spiders.  When we actually went out on the lake, it would go from 100 ft deep to 3 ft and weedy out of nowhere!  We had a lot of problems with the boat -- first a belt broke, then it beached onto the shore, then we had a storm and the holds all got full of water! The walk from the house to the dock was very long.  It made me winded and sweaty each and every time I made the trek.  There were gnats and mosquitoes galore.  Our room was really nice, but hot hot hot.  It didn't get much AC to start with, but we weren't able to set it to anything below 72 or the electricity would cut off for the whole house!  Eating with about 10 teenagers is difficult, because no matter how much food we made, there was never enough because they ate it all! I had migraines for half the days I was there and my final complaint is that I got ridiculously sunburnt on my feet and knees.  It was so painful, but luckily with the help of Maui Vera and Solarcaine Aloe, I cured without peeling.
Not sure if this picture does my burn justice, but ow.

Ok, complaints out of the way, on to the good!  It's always so fun getting to hang with my family.  We played lots of games including Boggle, Five Crowns, Dominoes, Settlers of Catan, Quiddler, Oh Hell, Catchphrase, Taboo and probably  more.  We (well, most of us) love games. Dad also brought croquet which we set up in the yard!
Boys playing croquet

We had some fun times down by the dock.  I brought a giant pegasus floatie toy to float around in near the dock.  It was a real hit, yet hard to navigate!  We had kayaks and the "relaxation station," which is a giant float that lots of people can be on and dip their feet in the water.  Uncle Ned brought his stand up paddleboard which was fun for everyone!
My favorite boys on the dock!

Hitching a ride on my own pegasus
SUP and kayak
Bill's first kayak experience!

The food was delicious -- we had mom's ham, potato soup and panzanella, Aunt Laurie's spaghetti (and homeade salsa and guac... not on the same night!), Aunt Sheri's chicken chalupa casserole and ramen noodle salad, Uncle Mike's pesto, Uncle Tony's fried chicken, hot dogs and hamburgers by Aunt Bonnie and we ordered pizza one night.

The lake is only about an hour away from Bill's parents' house, so they joined us for two days.  It was great for them to spend time with my family, since Bill's mom was sick during the wedding.  We played a lot of games and just hung out.
Bill's parents

We were there over the 4th of July, which also happened to be my cousin Sofi's 16th birthday.  We had a delicious cookout for dinner and spice cupcakes for dessert.  After dinner, we got a big family picture! We watched Sofi open all of her gifts and then we headed to the dock to watch all of the fireworks go off all around the lake.  Dad brought some glowsticks and I made a beautiful headdress.
Legit love my 4th of July dress!! 

Sofi blowing out her candles

Told you it was beautiful
The whole fam!

Every night we gathered around the fire pit to tell stories and eat smores!

Nice and burnt, just the way I like them

One day, most everyone went to Ithaca to see the town and shop, but I decided to stay behind and go out on the boat with Dad, Bill, Davey and Aiden. We had a blast boating and fishing, though we didn't catch a single thing.  We kept singing about "Old Greeny," the lake monster that supposedly lives in the lake.  Later the boys were diving off of the front of the boat so I laid down to read my book and I fell asleep.  I woke up to find that we were lost and turned out to be six miles away from our dock, haha!  What an adventure!


Another day, most everyone went to some wineries, but we decided to stay back with some others and I took the best nap of my life.  Bill napped in the hammocks.  I wanted to join him, but I was just so cozy in my bed that I couldn't make it down to the yard lol.

My sister brought a hilarious surprise for me.  She finally found a copy of the "movie" my friend Holly and I made in high school, "Doc's Angels," a horrific spin on Charlie's Angels.  It. Was.  Hilarious.  We were two agents seeking two criminals who eventually kidnap a little girl (my sister). It had a surprisingly decent plot, but was just so ridiculous.  I'm SO glad she finally found it and that my dad converted it to a DVD.


Speaking of my sister, I got to give her her birthday presents -- chocolates from my fave chocolate shop, Chocolate Chocolate, a book about Disney World, a Frozen piano book and a giant parrot floaty to accompany my pegasus.  I was also able to give my dad his birthday present!  I bought him a print of the night sky over our hometown on the night he was born from https://thenightsky.com/.  He really enjoyed it!

All in all, it was a great time and when the trip came to an end, I was really sad to say goodbye to everyone, especially my mom & dad and siblings.  It felt nice to be back in my own apartment and own bed at the end of the week, though!  We also left early enough on Saturday that we were able to enjoy Saturday night and we had Sunday to recoup.  I think this might be our new preferred timing for coming home from trips!


© Candy Rain Theme 2017
By Cherry Templates.
Candy Rain